Thursday, November 20, 2008

Hindsight is always 20/20

Which is worse?
1)Regret from not doing something that you probably should have done.
2)Regret for doing something you probably shouldn't have done.

Almost every time "regret" comes to my mind I think of The Last Unicorn.



Unicorn: I'm a little afraid to go home. I have been mortal, and some part of me is mortal yet. I am no longer like the others, for no unicorn was ever born who could regret, but now I do. I regret.
Schmendrick: I am sorry. I have done you evil and I cannot undo it.
Unicorn: No. Unicorns are in the world again! No sorrow will live in me with that joy... save one - and I thank you for that part, too.

That is an interesting theory. Being thankful for regret. Why is it that we like to be sad sometimes, and we don't want to be cheered up?

Do we sometimes subconsciously force ourselves to do something to regret, so that we can experience sorrow?

Maybe it is something we naturally do, so that we can vent out those repressed feelings and need an "excuse" to let it out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the Unicorn. :)

Rebecca's Oasis said...

it is an interesting idea.

Jen said...

I'd like to think that my regrets help me learn how to choose wisely in the future, so that I can avoid further regrets. I actually wrote in my journal about my regrets. . . I'll have to post it sometime.

Chris said...

Regret is good. It means you have a conscience.

By the way, what is it you are regretting?